Maryse Payen-Roy is part of the Modern Languages Support and Development Team at Glasgow City Council. In this show, Maryse talks about her professional learning and research, the 1+2 languages policy, the work of SALT and SCILT, and the focus of this episode: ‘Early start to French & How children learn their own and other languages from an early age’.
Click here to download Maryse’s planners.
Click here for this show’s recommended reading, reflective questions and links to the Professional Standard.
This show was first broadcast on 27th February 2014.
TeachMeet Languages Glasgow (#TMLangsGlas13) was held on Friday 1st November 2013 in the Confucius Classroom at the University of Strathclyde.
The event was generously sponsored by SALT, Scottish Association of Language Teaching and the presentations will be available for download from the website, www.saltlangs.org.uk.
On the night, presentations came in the following order:
- ‘Chinese at your fingertips’ by Meryl James, Senior Professional Development Officer, SCILT Scotland’s National Centre for Languages
- ‘Short films in ML’ by Lynne Jones, Primary Teacher, West Lothian on secondment to SCILT (referring to www.languagesonscreen.org.uk; www.screeningshorts.org.uk; www.goethe.de/filmschule)
- ‘Culture in Blooms’. Using Bloom’s taxonomy to develop differentiated tasks on culture for learners so they understand why they are learning a language.’ By Paul Cassidy, Primary Teacher, Glasgow
- ‘How to join the best staffroom in the world – the rise and rise of the MFL twitterati’ by Joe Dale, ML and tech consultant, TES mfl guru
- ‘Engaging language learners using interactive games and activities’ by William Turner, Glasgow City Council (referring to http://www.quia.com)
- ‘1+6: The Dalmarnock Story’ by Nancy Clunie, HT, Dalmarnock Primary, Glasgow
- ‘Using Virtual Learning Environments (VLEs) to enhance learning and teaching in Modern Languages’ by Robbie Kirk, Carrick Academy, South Ayrshire (referring to www.edmodo.com/).